[StudyAbroad] Gilman Scholarship Application Now Open for Spring and Summer 2019
malin at shsu.edu
Fri Aug 17 08:40:02 CDT 2018
Are you thinking about studying abroad Spring or Summer 2019? Are you a Federal Pell Grant recipient?
Make sure you submit an application for the Gilman Scholarship!
Don't forget that you must also have a study abroad application turned in to the Office of International Programs for us to be able to verify your study abroad status for your application.
See below for more information and let me know if you have any question.
The U.S. Department of State's Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is pleased to announce that the online application is open for students participating in credit-bearing study abroad and international internship programs during the spring 2019 and summer 2019 terms.
The Gilman Scholarship Program offers grants of up to $5,000 to U.S. undergraduate students of high financial need. Students studying a critical need language may be eligible to receive the Critical Need Language Award, a supplemental grant of up to $3,000. The Gilman Program aims to diversify the kinds of students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions where they go by supporting U.S. undergraduates who might otherwise not consider these unique and valuable opportunities due to financial constraints.
All applications are due Tuesday, October 2, 2018 by 11:59pm (central time).
Students applying for any academic term must meet the eligibility requirements below:
* Citizen of the United States.
* Undergraduate student in good academic standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States (as defined in section 101(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
* Federal Pell Grant recipient or able to provide proof that the applicant will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term in which he/she will be studying or interning abroad.
* Student is in the process of applying to, or accepted for, a study abroad or internship program approved for academic credit by the student's home institution for up to one academic year. (Note: Minimum period of study in a single country of at least two weeks for community college students and three weeks for students from four-year institutions.) Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement.
* Note: Applicants will be pre-screened to ensure their program of choice is in a country that has a Level 1 or 2 Travel Advisory, according to the U.S. Department of State's Travel Advisory System<https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html>. Applicants applying to a country that has a Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory will not be considered.
The Critical Need Language Award is competitive and offered to a limited number of Gilman scholars each year. In addition to receiving supplemental funds for language study, students who receive the Critical Need Language Award and complete their Gilman Scholarship requirements will be offered the opportunity to take the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). This test and the results will serve as both an evaluation measure of the award and as a credential for the award recipient. To be considered for the Critical Need Language Award, an additional essay is required and can be submitted in the same Gilman application.
The Gilman Scholarship Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE).
For more information, please visit www.gilmanscholarship.org<http://www.gilmanscholarship.org%3chttp:/www.gilmanscholarship.org>.
Malin Hilmersson, M.A.
Study Abroad Coordinator | Office of International Programs | Sam Houston State University
malin at shsu.edu<mailto:malin at shsu.edu> | 936-294-3276 | Farrington 116E
www.shsu.edu/study-abroad<http://www.shsu.edu/study-abroad> | Facebook: @SHSUOIP<http://www.facebook.com/SHSUOIP> | Twitter: @SHSUOIP<https://twitter.com/SHSUOIP> | Instagram: @SHSUStudyAbroad<https://www.instagram.com/shsustudyabroad>
StudyAbroad mailing list
To unsubscribe from StudyAbroad mailing list send a message to:
list_studyabroad-unsubscribe at shsu.edu<mailto:list_studyabroad-unsubscribe at shsu.edu>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the List_StudyAbroad