Geriatrics... and keyboards!

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 18:54:46 -0500

I work in a nursing home as an activity director. I'm trying to add some
more activities that are music therapy related, since I am actually a music
therapist. HOwever, when in school, I WAS NOT going to work in this setting
and honestly didn't pay as much attention as I should have to activities
with music and geriatrics. I could use some suggestions.  I currently own a
guitar and the facility has a piano. When I was hired they told me they'd
get me a keyboard, but I haven't pushed for one yet, though plan to ask in
the coming weeks. (we are waiting for state and I don't want to stress out
my administator now)

If I'm going to buy a keyboard, what would you all recommend?   What
features/price range should I look for?  If I were going to buy some other
equipment, what should I start with? I want to make sure I really use
whatever I buy.  I need to buy new rhythm instruments b/c most of ours are
missing or in crappy shape. I'm really starting from scratch here. I have 7
staff members, but none are musical save being able to sing a little.  I
would like to move beyond 1-1 visits with singing and group singalongs into
something a little more inventive. I feel kind of lost since I hadn't worked
in 5 years and I've never had the experience of really planning music
therapy groups b/c of the settings I worked in previously.  Any help would
be appreciated.

alice
               Alice, Shawn, and Maggie, 9/2/97
            <alicest@hcc-uky.campuscwix.net>