MIT

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:14:41 -0500

On August 16th, Ann Petty wrote:
<< I am working with a client who has both expressive and receptive
aphasia.  Right now we're in the maintenance phase of his treatment
(he is post-rehab).  I would like to continue MIT with him.  He was exposed
to it  during inpatient treatment with a music therapist.  Any suggestions ?.
Singing is a successful intervention.

In my experience with aphasic patients (post CVA), 'singing' assessments
may include pitch-matching and singing of familiar popular songs, lyrics
and melody, which is usually evaluative at a high level. In addition, I have
found that, in non-musicians who are right handed, right-hemisphere damage
verbal areas (aphasia secondary to CVA,eg.) shows a marked decrease in
functional rhythmic responses where the vocal element remains intact. The
reverse is true for left-hemisphere damaged individuals.

My original unpublished pilot study, 'A Comparison of Two Functional Music
completed during internship may be available from Immaculata College.

The principles and techniques of Melodic Intonation Tx (MIT), not addressed
in this study, are specific and any carry-over should be discussed, via team
seminar, for instance, with the facilitator of the technique.

Mary Eileen Johnston, MT-BC
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 08/16/1999 at 9:13:16 PM