MT and PTSD

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:38:32 -0500

Carol Ann, (and anyone else interested in PTSD)

Here's the name of two books which I found to be very helpful:

1.  "Psychological Trauma and the Adult Survivor:  Theory, Therapy and
Transformation"  by I. Lisa McCann and Laurie Anne Pearlman  published by
Brunner/Mazel.  ISBN#:  0-87630-594-X

2.  "Transforming the Pain:  A workbook on vicarious traumatization for
helping professionals who work with traumatized clients" by K. W.
Saakvitne, and L.A. Pearlman, et al.  Published by W.W. Norton.

Both book are available at the TSI/CAAP website (search under TSI/CAAP,
because I'm not sure what the web address is exactly).  I think it's
crucial for those of us working with folks who have had traumatic
experiences be really vigilant in our own self-care and in addressing
secondary (also known as  vicarious) trumatization.  This is especially
true of therapists who have their own trauma histories.   TSI/CAAP (the
Traumatic Stress Institute/Child, Adolescent, and Adult Psychotherapy) had
an excellent weeklong workshop on trauma and on addressing vicarious
traumatization which I attended in June of this year.   They have a lot of
articles and stuff available through their website.

Also on the web, there's a website called David Baldwin's trauma pages (or
something to that effect) that has a lot of article links and
interesting/maybe helpful stuff.

Roia Rafieyan
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 08/21/1999 at 9:38:10 PM