Relationships and Jobs

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:42:57 -0500

June 9, 1999

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments of Barbara Maclean regarding our
"attitudes" toward
others who use music in a helpful way.  If we get uptight about these folks and their
work, it
only says that we are not secure with ourselves and our craft.  In my university
classes I tell
students who encounter the "others" out there to not get "BOOS" (bent out of
shape).  Instead,
as Barbara said, embrace them, compliment them, LEARN from them, and, if you
have a chance,
tell them about what you do and how you do it.  Respect is earned, and we do not
earn it by
bad mouthing other folks who do musical things which may be similar in some
respects to what
we do.

Erin needs a job, and Lori asked about job opportunities.  Our graduates (Texas
Woman's Univ.)
during the last several years who have wanted employment as music therapists
have been able
to find or to create jobs in the Dallas/Ft.Worth/Denton area.  The pay scale is
probably not as
high as some other areas, but neither is the cost of living.  An area link that may
not be published nationally is http://home.att.net /~bkbrunk/jobs.html

Joe Pinson
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 06/09/1999 at 10:41:48
PM