Relationships and Jobs

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:22:04 -0500

Alice wrote:

> I am always fascinated by people who are able to create positions for
> themselves wherever they live. I would love to hear from folks who were able
> to do this.

In Western Australia, the only way to get work is to drum it up yourself! The
good news is that we now have more work than we can handle (now we need
some
more music therapists!).  It tends to be a long haul, and you need to be
prepared for a fairly lengthy drought before the dividends pay off.  It's often
a case of shamelessly using contacts among other professions, and offering free
seminars.  I found myself doing seminars and workshops for a year (yes, most
were paid, but not all), to staff in schools, nursing homes, etc, as well as
career information talks to high school students.  My business cards were
liberally given out.  I would hear nothing more for anywhere between 6 months
and 2 years, then I would get a call out of the blue "We've received
funding....." I also found my business cards got passed from one person to
another, thereby receiving inquiries from obscure sources.  Many calls were from
people who'd heard of music therapy, and through persistence in finding a
therapist were put into contact with me.  Make sure the local colleges that have
any sort of music program have your number (some people, in looking for a
therapist, rang the universities here in Perth).  Also, do you have a general
issue business phone directory? (Ours is the Yellow Pages).  It's worth paying
for a listing.  Be prepared for lots of short term contracts, at least to begin
with - it builds from there, once people see you in action.  Most importantly,
be patient!

Catherine Wilmot
Registered Music Therapist
Perth, Western Australia