LCA Child with Speech Delay

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:57:46 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I may be working with a  three  year old little boy who has Leber's
Congenital Amurosis.  LCA is caused by the child inheriting two autosomal
recessive genes.  As a result of his LCA, the little boy is blind.  In
fact, LCA is the cause of my blindness as well.

Along with blindness, LCA can also cause neurological problems and/or
speech delay.  Do any of you have any recommendations for encouraging this
little boy's use of language?  It's been a very long time since I worked
with toddlers who are language delayed.    His mother reports that he said
some words at an early age, but his language skills have since
deteriorated.  At this point, he needs to work on sounds and words.
Phrases and sentences can be built from this.     His mother is very
involved.  She works hard to find appropriate toys and other materials such
as tactile books, etc.  She takes him many places and tries to provide good
experiences for him.

Also, if any of you are interested in learning more about LCA, I will be
going to a conference in early November.  I'll be happy to let people know
what  I have learned.

Many thanks,

Janet Ingber M.A.  MT-BC
jingber@banet.net