CBMT Exam and competence

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:34:11 -0500

You state that admin, sw's, and case managers often judge the competence of
the music therapists that are associated with you on their musical skill.
Seems like the perception could be shifted with educational efforts
directed toward the above listed.
In regard to a performance section on the Exam: It's been my experience
that the music therapist's ability to help a client experience music in
ways that will assist them in a therapeutic manner is the most important
aspect in the scientific application of music. I'm a working/performing
musician, as well as an MT-BC. In the many years that I have been a music
therapy practitioner, it has been rare that my performance chops have been
utilized in a therapeutic context.
Your busy practice sound very interesting. Could you say more about that?
Dave Bryant, MT-BC, NCC
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 10/17/1999 at 11:33:52 PM