Music therapy credentials

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:43:40 -0500

What was cut out of my post, not by my intent was the following statement by Dori Berger (permission
resend was given)

"I wonder if others around the country are having the problems some of us back east are having. It
seems
that anyone who
 has had some semblence of course work in the general area of music therapy, or who plays guitar and
sings, is passing as
 'music therapist'.   The result is that a state such as New York has issued a document declaring Music
Therapy a not
 recommended as an intervention for children with autism, due to lack of information, formal practice
procedures, and other
 follow up stuff."

I can understand the confusion if this part was missing.  The reason why I mentioned Nordoff Robbins
was
because of its influence in being one of the first music therapy clinics to deal with developmentally
delayed populations.  I don't know the answer to this one and I leave it to all of us as a team to reach
a consensus as to how we can work harder so that further legislation (whether official or unofficial)
does not damage our representation and hinder our services to potential clients.

--
    Sincerely,

    Daniel R. Leopold, MA, MT-BC

                     Soul to Soul Music Therapy