Musicianship and MT

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:09:48 -0500

To Dave Bryant-
Thanks for the clarification. I, of course, place the needs of my clients
before my need to be perceived as a performer. However, I don't feel, and I
suppose you don't as well, that there is ever a use for sub-standard music-
and that MT-BCs must work from a place of excellent musicainship in order to
view and work with their clients within the range of musical abilities from
none to very skilled- or to reach the un-reachable ones. Happily, I find that
my work with, in particular, William's Syndrome and some children/adolescents
with autism challenges my musical abilities in a rich and beautiful way, and
I grow, too.

And so "sub-standard music" was the seed of my first open comment- how to
maximize the possibility that MT-BCs DO have the musical "goods." I believe
firmly that those "musical goods" are a significant representation of our
profession to the public. I need musically competent therapists and I'm
simply not finding them in my part of the Midwest.

So the question remains, what can be done to make sure that new music
therapists coming into the field only do so if they can cut it musically?

Are my standards high when it comes to this part of a therapist's abilities?
You bet!! I'd be negligent if they weren't.

Thanks again.
Respectfully,
Jim Hiller MMT,MT-BC
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 10/25/1999 at 8:09:32 AM