CBMT and Musicianship

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 06:30:44 -0500

Jim and others in the CBMT discussion,

I don't know if you've read all the posts but I did write about the
supervisor's evaluations as being a very important part of this process, and
I don't see why they couldn't be utilized in application for the CBMT just as
they were used in part of my application process for my CMT.  I feel this IS
a solution, and not a far-fetched one.  Perhaps somewhat involved to apply
because of the depth involved in evaluation, but that is precisely the point.

The first section on the CMT evaluation asked the supervisor to evaluate
musical skills on keyboard, piano, guitar, voice, nonsymphonic instruments,
and composition and arrangement on a scale of 1 to 5 plus a comments section.

The AAMT also had established guidelines of competency.  I don't have those
at hand -- perhaps another former AAMT person does -- those are what the
evaluation was based on and I and I'm sure many others would love to see them
integrated into the CBMT format somehow.

I do think musicianship is crucial to work as a music therapist and it's an
area I constantly work on improving for myself.  I am not familiar with the
CBMT exam, but I have to be completely honest here in contributing to this
ongoing dialogue:  just as a written exam can't adequately judge
musicianship, how can it possibly judge a person's skills as a therapist?
Isn't a written exam more about knowledge than therapeutic process?  Would
love to some thoughts on this.

Lori L. Baur, MA, CMT