CBMT and Musicianship

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 07:18:42 -0500

In a message dated 10/27/99 11:04:50 PM, Jim Hiller wrote:

<<The AAMT competencies were well thought out and have been, in large part,
incorporated into the old NAMT and new AMTA competencies. This was a great
evolution, and even
though the CMT is not a "credential" persae, the emphasis on musical
competence requirements for
completing an AAMT program went a long way toward addressing the current
problem at hand.
Certainly a good deal of learning- musical learning, takes place at the
internship, and supervisors should
critically evaluate each student's musical skills- and insist on remediation
for skills that are inadequate
before approving their exit from the internship. What do others think?
Clinical supervisors? It sounds like
a natural, but we all realize (AND APPRECIATE) how busy clinical supervisors
are. Its a tough problem.

Just a couple of points from the CT perspective ..... first, we do not
currently have a document that is known as the "AMTA Competencies".  As a
result of the unification process, several documents have remained entitled
as they were earlier, including the "NAMT Clinical Training Guidelines" and
the "NAMT Professional Competencies"; these documents have also not been
available for any revisions, etc., during the transition phase.  Other
documents, such as the "Code of Ethics" are indeed now the "AMTA Code of
Ethics", and have already been through an initial revision as the process of
unification progresses.

As a member of the Clinical Training Committee since 1987, I have had the
opportunity to become familiar with new and existing internship training
programs across the country, and most particularly in my region
(Mid-Atlantic).  It has been my experience that the sites that are
consistently given the highest ratings by interns (the clinical training
directors' "consumers") are those that are truly clinical TRAINING sites.
While educators and clinical training directors (CTD's) generally agree that
students frequently arrive at internship with weak functional/clinical musicia
nship skills, the most impassioned CTD's view training in this area as an
integral part of their role.  This should ideally be reinforced by the fact
that, as an employee of a facility, all CTD's are ultimately responsible for
the quality and efficacy of services being provided to their agency's
consumers; I do not allow my interns to work with certain individuals at my
facility, as they (generally) do not have the clinical technique or emotional
maturity to deal with certain processes.

The CT Guidelines specifically outline the areas of musical abilities,
professional qualities and characteristics, therapeutic skills, and verbal
and written skills as the broad strokes of competency that all interns must
be evaluated on.  Pairing the NAMT Professional Competencies with this can
assist CTD's and interns in focusing quite specifically on what skills the
entering intern possesses and what needs to be accomplished by the end of the
training.  As we design and implement individual-specific treatment plans for
our clients, so should we "customize" our training processes for each intern.
It is our responsibility to the future integrity of our profession, as well
as the clients who continue to await services.

Donna W. Polen, MT-BC
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 10/29/1999 at 7:18:13 AM