Advice about hyperactive children

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:47:15 -0500

Here's a few suggestions that I have used.  First, if he can read, have him
and maybe a few others read each verse aloud.  This way they will hear the
words before singing them.  The second step is to hear the melody.  And the
third is to combine these two aspects of the song.  This may take a few weeks
to complete.  You can also involve him by having him hand out and collect
papers, ask him to turn pages for you and to let him know if he needs a "time
out," like to take a walk or get a drink of water, it is okay.  I would also
suggest that the parent stay, if "time outs" are used.  Talking to the parent
about ways to engage the child, as well as practicing with the child at home
may also be helpful.
I know that in our church, maintaining a respectful manner is encouraged.
Children respond well to that as part of the choir I direct.  When they start
getting antsy or loud, I remind them they are in the church, then at times
talk about the purpose of each of the songs and the role of the choir in
leading worship.
Hope these suggestions are helpful.
J. Robertson
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 09/06/1999 at 10:46:55 PM