Help with Monotone Singing

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:01:19 -0500

I am looking for advice on techniques and measurable goals for one of my
clients.  She is a teenager (just started 9th grade) with mild developmental
disabilities and a love of music.  She is particularly interested in singing
although she primarily speaks and sings in a monotone.  She loves singing in
the school choir, but, of course, her self-esteem, etc is greatly damaged
when teased by other kids and told to just mouth the words during concerts.
I see her privately once per week (I don't work at her school or anything)
and we've been working on concentration and self esteem through singing (we
do a lot of rap which she likes and at which she is successful, but not
helpful for school choir music), piano playing, some dancing, and learning to
read music -- note names, rhythms, etc.  She's not entirely monotone because
she can make high vs. low sounds, but I haven't heard her match a pitch yet.
I'm hoping for suggestions on techniques to improve her singing ability
beyond having her try glissandos and do high vs. low (octaves).  Or is not
possible to improve when you are monotone?
Thanks in advance for any help.

-Cindy Robertson, MT-BC
Denver
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 09/08/1999 at 11:00:56 PM