Help with Monotone Singing

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:39:50 -0500

Dear Cindy,

Don't despair -  I was supposed to be a monotone when I was a kid, and
now I lead singing groups.
You didn't say how long you'd been working with this client, but I
would continue with the high and low notes, and slowly start sandwiching
notes in-between, one at a time. To make it more interesting, may-be you
could have a "singing chat" _ i.e. talking about something that
interests your client, but singing about it, using very small intervals.
Also, if you know of any good vocal teachers, may-be you could ask them
how they would work with this problem, but don't believe them if they
say it's not possible, because it is.
Good luck.

Sahra Cohen
music therapist