Help with Monotone Singing

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 12:20:40 -0500

Just a few things to throw out, may or may not work:

Humming on pitch might be possible - then moving directly to an open mouth
sound from the humming on the same pitch

Imitation of cartoonish voices or other varieties of voices other than her
own and your own in a playful manner

Trying to replicate a pitch or pitches that she herself has made with an
instrument - a pitch pipe, a recorder, harmonica, kazoo, anything simple to
use that she makes the sound on with her own breath.  Actually, kazoo is
especially effective for this as there is no other adjustment for pitch other
than the person's own attempts to change the pitch.  Maybe a little juvenile
for a ninth grader, but if she's game for it I think it could be extremely
effective.  Whistling, also.

Toning techniques - see references on the Toning method, I do not know it
well enough to elaborate in detail.

Most importantly work on the self-esteem, as we know the voice is such a
personal instrument, to express oneself with the voice is one of the most
personal expressions we can make.  You have to wonder what came first - the
monotone singing or the damage to the self-esteem?

And, as others have said, it is DEFINITELY possible to improve when you are
"monotone," I would think in every case but in almost every one there is
definitely a possibility for improvement.  And you as the therapist must
believe this above all before your client ever will.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

Lori Baur, M.A., C.M.T.
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 09/11/1999 at 12:20:20 PM