Referrals

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:19:25 -0500

We have four criteria for referrals to MT services at the in-patient psych
hospital in which I work:
The patient must:

be motivated to participate in treatment
be able to tolerate a group setting (we unfortunately don't have the staff
to offer 1:1)
have a positive response to music
have a specific problem to be addressed (i.e. NOT "I just want to listen to
music")

These criteria were created to help the physicians/resident/nurses and
patients understand the type of service that we offer IS NOT entertainment.
In a hospital with 250 beds and only two MTs, clear referral criteria is
vital.  It has been quite successful, although we continually have to
reinforce these criteria to new nurses/residents etc.  I agree with Joe
Pinson's explanation as well.  Your specific referral criteria will depend
largely on your own case load requirements and the clientele you service.

Carina K. Ayers, MT-BC
UT-Houston, Harris County Psychiatric Center
2800 S. MacGregor Way
Houston, Tx 77021
(713)741-5989
cayers@mind.hcpc.uth.tmc.edu