Paperwork and Programming

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:35:09 -0500

Thank you Carina, Dirk and Mary Eileen for keeping the Paperwork vs
Programming thread going and sharing your workstyle.
Preparation time seems to take at least 15-20 mins for some of my
groups/individuals depending on their needs.Sometimes I have to
re-organise the layout of the room, depending on their physical needs or
any challenging behaviour, which requires some "external" control. For
example, one of my clients likes to rip up paper, so I have to remove
music books, case notes and any cardboard from the vicinity before
preparing the room and instruments! And this is before starting "prep
time" such as preparing  music, songs and appropriate tunes on the
guitar and piano. I take "prep time" to include both "hands-on" time and
paper time too.
  I think that one has to be flexible, because often there are
interruptions to both "paperwork and planning" due to management
requests, client demands/requests or requests from staff members.Where I
work, there are often emergency situations, where staff/clients need
additional help.
And sometimes there is a big rush from nursing staff for individual
music therapy reports because of I.P. meetings and management pressure.
One has to be fairly flexible but not get side tracked onto one issue,
because other areas might be neglected.
Maybe a survey might help in the future from some MTh. with lots of
time?  What do others think?
                                   from Dot Newland.
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 09/28/1999 at 11:34:51 PM