CQI study

Dirk & Julie Cushenbery dirkcush@fastband.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 14:40:24 -0500

--------------7A2BAD47EDA4B3D39A3E3577

Is there anyone currently performing a CQI  ( committee of quality
improvement) study on the music therapy they offer.  I work in a long
term care unit, neuro-behavioral unit, and adult day health care.  Any
suggestions would be helpful.  At this time, it would be part of the
therapeutic recreation department study.  I would also appreciate
hearing from anyone who works in these settings who are able to bill for
music therapy services via medicare, medicaid, or private insurance
through their facility.  Please respond to the enclosed e-mail site,
when I registered, I incorrectly submitted my addresss. Thank you

> Shelley Evans MT-BC  jevans02@rochester.rr.com.

A few years ago, Amanda Embrey and I created a music therapy department
mission statement, long and short term goals for a long term adult MR
facility / state school.  Now in the CMHC/PHP setting, I (actually this
falls more to nursing at our site) track system process data / ORYX
indicators as it is required by medicare.  The ORYX gets more into
Statistical Process Controls (SPC) rather than just goal setting.  I
think much of CQI began with William Edwards Deming.  There are also
various spin offs from it like TQC and Work Management.

Work management looks more at one's suppliers / and customers and
attempts to streamline systems to enhance "value added-ness".  Or
inputs, outputs, and what are you doing in between that adds value.
This model probably works better in a manufacturing setting, but with a
little creativity could probably be generalized to the medical setting.

I think the real objective of CQI at some sites is to be able to say
that they have CQI.  Obviously it shouldn't be and end in itself!  :)
But this sometimes appears to be the case.   Companies pay hundreds of
dollars to purchase "The Deming Library", but tend to do little of what
is contained in it!  :)  So there can be various reasons for doing CQI.
CQI can serve to focus energy in positive directions and create a sense
of team work.  This, along with improving system processes, is what I
believe is the most valuable part of it.  What are you wanting to
acheive through using CQI?  The scope of the team may be something to
consider too.  Is it the entire Rec. Dept. or just MT?  You can have
cascading - complimentary goals per different organizational level.
Hope this helps!  :)

Dirk Cushenbery, MME,
MT-BC
dirkcush@fastband.com
Charis Behavioral
Health
www.fastband.net/~dirkcush
Baton Rouge,
LA
www.charismhc.com

PS If you're able to post messages to the list, you should be able to
receive them as well.  BTW - Thank-you Michael Clark (and other active
participants) for "adding value" to this forum!  :)

--------------7A2BAD47EDA4B3D39A3E3577

Is there anyone currently performing a CQI&nbsp; ( committee of quality
improvement) study on the music therapy they offer.&nbsp; I work in a long
term care unit, neuro-behavioral unit, and adult day health care.&nbsp;
Any suggestions would be helpful.&nbsp; At this time, it would be part
of the therapeutic recreation department study.&nbsp; I would also appreciate
hearing from anyone who works in these settings who are able to bill for
music therapy services via medicare, medicaid, or private insurance through
their facility.&nbsp; Please respond to the enclosed e-mail site, when
I registered, I incorrectly submitted my addresss. Thank you

mission statement, long and short term goals for a long term adult MR facility
/ state school.&nbsp; Now in the CMHC/PHP setting, I (actually this falls
more to nursing at our site) track system process data / ORYX indicators
as it is required by medicare.&nbsp; The ORYX gets more into Statistical
Process Controls (SPC) rather than just goal setting.&nbsp; I think much
of CQI began with William Edwards Deming.&nbsp; There are also various
spin offs from it like TQC and Work Management.
to streamline systems to enhance "value added-ness".&nbsp; Or inputs, outputs,
and what are you doing in between that adds value.&nbsp; This model probably
works better in a manufacturing setting, but with a little creativity could
probably be generalized to the medical setting.
that they have CQI.&nbsp; Obviously it shouldn't be and end in itself!&nbsp;
:)&nbsp; But this sometimes appears to be the case.&nbsp;&nbsp; Companies
pay hundreds of dollars to purchase "The Deming Library", but tend to do
little of what is contained in it!&nbsp; :)&nbsp; So there can be various
reasons for doing CQI.&nbsp; CQI can serve to focus energy in positive
directions and create a sense of team work.&nbsp; This, along with improving
system processes, is what I believe is the most valuable part of it.&nbsp;
What are you wanting to acheive through using CQI?&nbsp; The scope of the
team may be something to consider too.&nbsp; Is it the entire Rec. Dept.
or just MT?&nbsp; You can have cascading - complimentary goals per different
organizational level.&nbsp; Hope this helps!&nbsp; :)
dirkcush@fastband.com
www.fastband.net/~dirkcush
www.charismhc.com
receive them as well.&nbsp; BTW - Thank-you Michael Clark (and other active
participants) for "adding value" to this forum!&nbsp; :)