Music Practitioners

Terpsichore100@cs.com Terpsichore100@cs.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:13:57 EDT

Hi, Marcie,

I looked up music practitioners on the web, and looked at their course
requirements, etc. ....  They don't seem to have a board-certification
process as we do, and there isn't much in the curriculum pertaining to
psychology, abnormal and otherwise, or human development, and what have you.
(Lots of Mozart Effect reading, though... that right there frightens me a
little).

I agree with you; they do seem performance-based.  While they definitely
distinguish themselves as different from MT, it still makes me really
uncomfortable that they are packaging a "therapeutic" music service in a
health care setting.  Those in the health care field who may know a bit about
music therapy (after all, it IS getting some press these days, which is
good), may not recognize the distinction between the two fields, and lump it
all together as music therapy.  THAT scares me, and it also makes our
campaign to get MT recognized more readily that much harder.
I think our best bet as board-certified music therapists is to always
educate, always stress, that we provide a clinical service to  people, and
have ready research, documentation, and educational standards to back us up.

Just my two cents; don't know how helpful it is.  I appreciate the info you
brought to the board.

marybeth gunning, mt-bc
worcester, ma