bell choirs

Tom & Terri Hart friendsmts@ev1.net
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:49:24 -0600

--MS_Mac_OE_3088741764_2326385_MIME_Part

Dirk, thanks for the credit, but the system we used was actually developed
at Travis State School back in the 80's when I was interning.  The
therapists were Bruce Saperston (who is in Utah now at the University) and
Jeannie Ply, who I think is no longer in music therapy, but in speech
therapy.

The "simplified" melodies work well, but some melodies were fine as is.
Also, it's important to note that we used piano accompaniment which helped
fill out the sound.  For some songs we just had them play chords while the
melody was in the piano.  Our cueing system, using hand signals, takes some
getting used to.  Our interns were required to learn it and it always took a
few rehearsals to get it down.  The music was marked with numbers.  We
numbered the bells left to right as we were looking at them then used the
cooresponding number on the music.  We began to develop "shortcut" ways of
thinking.  We knew that odd numbers would be in the clients right hand and
even in their left.  It became automatic, much like piano players who can
instantly put their hands on middle C, and play whole songs with their eyes
closed because they learn where things are tactilly.  How you arrange the
bells in the clients hands can make a difference too.  For instance, if you
are having them play a melody, then low bells on your left and higher bells
to the right, like the piano, makes sense.  If you are having them play more
chords, with the melody in the piano, then it make more sense to pair bells
that will play together.

  One more point to consider, we had a strict criteria for participation in
the choir.  They learned a specific series of behaviors which they were
required to follow.  It was made clear to them that if they couldn't follow
directions, sit quietly until it's their turn, and follow protocol at the
table, then they would not be taken on the performance trips and eventually
would be discontinued from the choir.

Joe's system allowed clients who were more disabled to participate.  He used
a lot of switches and stands for bells (some of the clients used a mallet to
strike the bell).  The light system which Dirk referred to was controlled by
a keyboard.  Joe played on the keyboard what he wanted them to play and a
light would come on in front of the client.  He taught them to play when
their light came on.