[Ntso] NTSO Elections

Frances C. Fennessy stdfcm11 at shsu.edu
Fri Oct 15 12:21:42 CDT 2004

If you are interested in holding an officer’s position, you need to write
a short paragraph about yourself (even if you are uncontested) so that the
voters will understand who they are voting for.  This should be no longer
than 250-300 words. Please send the paragraph to me at
roughneckbooks at hotmail.com by midnight on October 30. I will post these
paragraphs on the listserv October 31. Don't worry too much about this. We
are required to have an official election (as per our constitution), so we
must do this.

Our elections will begin November 1 and end at midnight on November 8.
They will be held online so that we can reach all of the members and have
a quorum.

A note about the positions: We would NEVER put anyone in any position
without guidance. I (Frances Crawford Fennessy), the vice president (John
Fennessy), and our sponsor (Dr. Kerri Rogers) will always be available to
help you in every way we can. If you think you might not be able to make a
meeting, the important thing is that you have appointed someone who is
dependable to proxy for you. It is important that someone take the notes
for you (if you are the secretary), or update us about our upcoming events
(if you are the business manager).

Here's the official spiel about the Secretary position:

Secretary - Takes meeting minutes, maintains listserv and web site,
assists in poster design and generation for events, responsible for
printing out fliers and ordering additional business cards, tracks office
supplies and requests new ones when needed, creates correspondence (thank
you letters etc), puts together mailings at the beginning of each semester
for new students, requests mailing labels from registrar’s office for
mailings, makes sure fliers are posted appropriately.

Most of the duties would be limited to just one day a month (the monthly
meeting notes). The secretary will need to put together the notes and post
them to the listserv for those members who are unable to attend the
meetings. The website duties will probably be delegated to the
facilitator; however, we have a volunteer who will do the initial set up
for us. The flier duties would be delegated mostly, but you would need to
make sure your volunteers put them out. The posters/fliers creation would
probably be delegated too; you would just need to make sure whoever the
creative soul is completed them, included the necessary items, and then
you would have to get the poster/flier approved. That's the easy part-it
takes about 5 minutes at the Student Activities Center, and our
facilitator would take care of that for us. Of course, the printing would
need to be done too. If the poster is in color, I can do that for us. If
it is just on colored paper with black ink, the facilitator can print them
for us. Almost all of this can be done online via email.

Here's the official spiel about the Business Manager position:

Business Manager – Non-Traditional Student Organization representative to
student government meetings, is responsible for finding a suitable proxy
when needed, responsible for presenting NTSO concept and budget at
necessary meetings, tracks organization spending, assists with programming
budgets, orders all supplies for organization.

Most of these duties would be limited to one day a month (the monthly NTSO
meeting day).  The Student Government Association here at SHSU does not
require anyone from our group to attend their meetings unless we are
requesting money from them. The Business Manager would be required to
represent NTSO at any obligatory meeting that SHSU notified us of (at this
time, I am not aware of any). This officer would work directly with the
facilitator and the other officers to control spending and verify that all
items necessary for events have been ordered and received. Most of this
would be done online via email.

There are a few requirements for every officer’s position. They are as
follows:

Section III.	 Attendance
Attendance is only mandatory for office holders. However, up to 2 excused
absences from office holders will be accepted per semester when prior
notification is given and proxies are provided

Section I. Requirements for Officers.
All undergraduate student leaders must be students at SHSU and meet and
maintain a 2.00 grade point average. All graduate student leaders must be
students at SHSU and meet and maintain a 3.00 grade point average. Any
student leader may be subject to removal from office by the organization
and/or the organization’s advisor should the student leader fail to
maintain the requirements as prescribed or the duties of office.

Section III.	 Election Process
Elections shall be held at the first regular meeting during the month of
April, or as close to that date as possible; a quorum must be present and
a simple majority vote will win.  Newly elected officers shall assume
responsibility at the following meeting.

Have I scared you away yet?

Frances Crawford Fennessy
NTSO President
roughneckbooks at hotmail.com