[Ntso] SHSU NTSO Elections

John & Frances Fennessy roughneckbooks at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 21:27:01 CDT 2004

WELCOME TO THE NTSO 2004 ELECTIONS!

We are currently entering into elections for the NTSO Business Manager and
Secretary positions. These offices will be held throughout the 2004-2005
academic year. Following are the biographies of those candidates who
submitted a biography and contacted me to verify their interest in running
for the open positions. The candidates are listed in alphabetical order
under the position they are interested in holding. Elections will begin on
November 1 and run through November 8. I will forward you an election form
via a separate email that you will need to send back to me at:
roughneckbooks at hotmail.com.

This email is simply for you to get to know your candidates. Please do not
begin your voting yet.

Thanks!

Frances Crawford Fennessy
NTSO President

****FOR THE POSITION OF BUSINESS MANAGER****

RALPH BALES:
My name is Ralph Bales and I am a first semester graduate student with the
Criminal Justice Management program.  Like many of you, I reentered the
college scene after establishing a career and beginning a family.  I began
working for Southwestern Bell Telephone Company in 1978, and in 1986 I was
employed with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.  Most of my work
experience has included program and business administration, to include
program development and budget analysis.  In 1998, I began taking classes in
hopes of completing a long-term dream, gaining a baccalaureate degree.  In
May 2004, I graduated from SHSU, majoring in Psychology.  During that time,
I was inducted into Psi Chi, the Psychology National Honor Society, and
served as Vice-president of the Psychology Club.
I am extremely enthused about the Non-traditional Student Organization
(NTSO).  I have long felt that non-traditional students (NTS) needed an
organization that understood and addressed their specific needs.  I must
confess that even though I was treated with respect and warmth from fellow
traditional students, I missed the camaraderie of students who shared the
same issues I did.  The challenge of balancing family, careers, school, and
civic responsibilities can be overwhelming, and requires a dedication and
commitment that is unique to NTS.
If I am elected to serve as the Business Manager for NTSO, I will faithfully
serve with President Fennessey to ensure that your interests are shared with
the Student Government Association (SGA), and SHSU administrators, in hopes
that we may be able to provide programs, services, and activities tailored
to NTS that will help you to succeed in your goal of achieving a college
degree.  In addition, I envision NTSO providing a broad base of experience
that will provide mentoring and encouragement to other NTS who are realizing
their dream, and entering the college experience.

DEBBIE CLIFTON:
My name is Debbie Clifton, I am a junior and an Interior Design major. I
transferred from the University of Texas at San Antonio. I am running for
the business manager position. I would do a lot for this organization.
Being a 36 year old single mother, I have great organizational skills. I
feel I would be able to help make this organization a great one. I have been
in a manager position and was responsible for many things including planning
training seminars, a corporate Christmas party with a sit-down dinner and
entertainment, and rewriting and organizing company policies and training
manuals.
I work very well with others, I have many good ideas regarding things for us
to be involved in, some are community based and many of them are just for
fun and I always love to hear other people's ideas, too.  I will strive to
make this organization the biggest on campus and to make our concerns and
needs known to the University. With dedicated people in office, we have the
ability to affect the policies of Sam Houston State. The Non-Traditional
Student Organization is very important to me, if I am elected I will not let
you down.

****FOR THE POSITION OF SECRETARY****

VALERIE JOHNSON:
Hi, my name is Valerie Johnson and I am running for the office of NTSO
secretary.  I am completing my Bachelor of Science degree, Criminal Justice
major and Psychology minor.  I am a junior with a 3.66 GPA.  I have received
honors recognition from the Golden Key National Honor Society and Alpha
Lambda Delta Freshman Honor Society.  I’d like to tell you a little about
myself and why I believe I fit NTSO.
I have been married to the same man for over 20 years.  I am the mother of
two boys and I have three grandchildren.  I served with both the Air Force
and the Naval reserves.  I worked for the prison system for a number of
years.  Currently I am employed full time as an assistant in a local firm.
I plan on attending law school after graduation.
I try to always remain optimistic and believe in approaching each day with a
positive outlook and enthusiasm.  I am not a couch potato.  I have a very
full and active life.  I love to learn and experience new adventures.  I
enjoy reading and love to be near the ocean.
I believe I can do a good job as secretary for NTSO.  I am well versed in
the responsibilities accompanying a secretarial position.  I take excellent
notes, oftentimes verbatim.  With typing speed at about 45 to 50 wpm I am
not a fast typist, but I get the job done.  I am versed in WordPerfect,
Word, PowerPoint, other software programs, plus I know how to navigate the
internet.  I have a lot of experience working with individuals of various
backgrounds and I believe I relate to people very well.
I would welcome the opportunity to serve as your secretary.  I thank you for
your time.

SONDRA LANGLAND:
Hello Fellow Students! My name is Sondra Langland. This is my third semester
here at Sam. I am an Education major, in my junior year. After 13 years of
functioning in the ‘real world’, I have returned to college to claim my
degree! I absolutely love living here in Huntsville and being able to attend
this beautiful campus! I am blessed to have a second chance at a college
education, as most of you are also. Of course, we all know that being an
‘older’ student is sometimes quite hard and demanding. But, we do have an
advantage of being more experienced and a little wiser. I am a single mother
of two daughters, Lauren, age 9, and Sarah, age 8. I enjoy being involved
with them and their activities that include cheerleading, soccer,
gymnastics, girl scouts and volunteering at their school. I have recently
joined the Mary Kay Cosmetics Inc., and am an Independent Beauty Consultant.
I have already worked in the Cy-Fair school district for three years, which
is what confirmed my desire to be a teacher. My area of interest is
Reading/English/Language Arts for grades 4-8. I like to write poetry, and I
hope to someday write a book.
I am so glad that Sam Houston State University is finally creating an
organization specifically for us nontraditional students! There are a large
number of us on campus, and I know we will be an exceptionally special
group! I look forward to the many topics that will cater to our needs and
concerns. I would be very proud to be a part of this organization and can’t
wait to get things rolling. I am running for Secretary of the NTSO and I ask
for your vote! And, don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘big election’ on
November 2, 2004. Thank You.