[Ntso] From a Founder of NTSO

John & Frances Fennessy roughneckbooks at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 17 09:55:17 CDT 2006

Hi Andrea!

I personally would like to thank you for all of the hard work you have
invested in this organization. You stepped up to the plate to be this
organization's leader when few others could. I think, we as a whole,
appreciate that sacrifice. As one of the founding members of this
organizaiton, I would also like to address a few items that have come to my
attention.

I think the online discussion idea is interesting and can certainly be
accommodated on another listserv where those who are distinctly interested
in discussions can sign up to be a part of that. I feel strongly that there
are a number of Non-Traditionals who would like to keep this listserv as
ONLY an avenue for keeping up with the organization's doings. We need to
think of all of the members when changes to the organization (and the
attached listserv) are made.

In addition, I would like all of us to think of SHSU in perhaps a more
positive light. Rather than continuously looking at Sam and thinking, "there
are things that need improvement," perhaps we as an organization can shine
the limelight on the good things that Sam currently does. It might not be
incredibly noticeable, but the previous discussions lean on the side of
"What I want," instead of "What I have."

It is my impression that NTSO has been attempting to become a political
organization instead of a social organization. While that was not the
original itnention, there are a few things that must be considered when this
intent is in mind. In order to make a change at the university level,
leaders must enter the negotiating table with positive things to say. We
will always catch more bees with honey than with vinegar.

We, as an organization, need to be able to identify the positive things
quickly and remind ourselves of them as often as we can. Otherwise we become
a toxic organization, one that few would want to be a part of. I really
think every student makes his experience at Sam (or anywhere for that
matter) what he wants it to be.

With that said, I am not turning a blind eye and pretending that Sam is
perfect and provides everything that NTSO members need to be successful. But
as one of the founders of this organization, I do believe we should use the
organization to boost ourselves and those who are like us. Clearly, the
organization's constitution says, "the purpose shall be to provide support,
friendship, and guidance to non-traditional students at SHSU while
encouraging them to become active in academic, social, and recreational
opportunities on campus."

I know that the founders of this organization did not create it to be a
beating stick of the university. It would be a serious disappointment if
that is what it has become.

We should look a little closer at our discussions and our future goals and
make an effort to be positive and provide "support, friendship and guidance"
to each other.  :)

Frances Crawford Fennessy
former NTSO President
NTSO founder (with John Fennessy and Dr. Keri Rogers)