[Ntso] Minutes for Meeting (9/12)

Andrea Woodlief andrea_woodlief at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 6 14:38:46 CDT 2006

NON-TRADITIONAL STUDENT ORGANIZATION
MEETING MINUTES FOR 9/12/2006

Our first meeting of the year officially began at roughly noon on 9/12/2006.
All officers are in attendance with the exception of Ava Battle who is no
longer with us and Debra Clifton who could not make it.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS:

With Ava Battle no longer being a student at SHSU and one must be a student
to be part of our organization, we were out a Vice-President. With this
situation in mind we looked at our constitution and realized that there was
nothing in there about what to do in this situation (ie: presidential
appointment or majority vote). We all decided that we would vote among
ourselves (those in attendance) for a new Vice-President.  We decided we
would nominate Angi Bremkamp (the current business manager) for the position
of Vice-President. The vote was unanimous and Ms. Bremkamp is now our new
Vice-President. With her becoming the VP we needed to elect a new Business
Manager and Jen Hullinger was nominated and voted in.  Jen is a Geography
major/GIS minor. Congratulations to Angi and Jen!

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS:

With the situation of Vice-President we have amend our constitution for such
a situation. We are going to be doing that at some point in this semester,
but we are going to wait and see what other changes that are needed as well.

OTHER ODERS OF BUSINESS:

Due to the low turn out of people in attendance of this and the last several
meetings we would like to give everyone a vote as to when we meet. The more
people we have in actual attendance the stronger our organization will be.
We understand that everyone has children and jobs, as well as going to
school that is why we are holding a vote. We will conduct it the same way we
did our voting for officers. You can send in your suggestions via listserve
or email. The time we are looking at is either Tuesdays at 2:00 or
Wednesdays at 3:00. The meetings will still be held once a month. We would
also like some input as to what type of things our members would like to do
in our organization. We are after all a social organization.

One thing that has been under discussion is going on a camping trip at
Huntsville state park or at least having some type of barbeque. We would
like to do everything we can to make our events family friendly.

We also discussed participating in the 2006 Bearkat Ally. For those of you
who don’t know what that is, it is a tailgate party. We all get together and
barbeque some meat, hand it out to people and have a great time. There are a
great number of organizations that do this and it is a great way to let
others know about NTSO. We were thinking that we would see about teaming up
with another organization to do this. From all accounts it is work but Fun.
Those of you who would like to participate please let us know. You can post
it on listserv or email one of us. The dates we are talking about are
10-14-2006 (homecoming) or 10-28-2006 (parents’ weekend). There are two
other dates we can participate in as well they are 10-19-2006 and
11-18-2006. The times will be discussed at a latter date, we need to know if
our members are interested in doing this or not first.  Students are allowed
one free ticket to our games. What could be more fun then going out and
supporting our school football team? Oh and by the way there will be lots of
give-a-ways too.
Money issues were discussed.  We discussed getting some cooperation’s to
donate money to NTSO. John is seeing what he can do. Angi is looking into it
as well. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are in
need of getting some funding so we can do more with the organization like
have a banner for starters. We intend to put a proposal in at the UFO but we
would like to put in for more then one thing at a time.

We need to get the word out about NTSO. Many people still don’t know that we
are here. There is something like 2,500 or more students that are
non-traditional here on our campus. We would like to see more people at the
meetings too. For the October meeting the officers will make more of an
effort to get flyers out sooner. Anyone who would like to help put up flyers
please contact Angi Bremkamp at alb017 at shsu.edu or the NTSO email account at
org_ntso at shsu.edu. You can also post it on listserve.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
We would like to welcome any newcomers to our organization. Furthermore we
look forward to having a fun and sociable year with all of our members.

Typed by: Angi Bremkamp, NTSO-President