[Psychmasters] Advisement for Spring Courses

Miller, Rowland Spence PSY_RSM at exchange.shsu.edu
Fri Oct 28 14:47:57 CDT 2005

Howdy--

Please come by my office next week, grab an appointment from the lists on my door, and then come visit with me regarding your courses for the Spring, '06, semester.  Along those lines, here are our time-honored norms and some other thoughts regarding this process and the upcoming term:

1.  Some of the Clinical practice courses--691, 692/693, and 595--are limited enrollment offerings with strict caps on size.  People who need those courses to graduate and/or to not fall behind on their projected graduation dates have priority over those who will be able to take them at another time without undue hardship or delay.  Thus, the Department's permission to take those courses remains tentative until we're sure that all essential needs have been met.  Once vital needs are fulfilled, however, enrollment in those courses is first come, first served.

2.  If you take Practicum I, PSY 691, this Spring or Summer, please plan on taking PSY 692/693, Practicums II and III, in the Fall.  Almost all of those who take 691 early in the year will need to take 692/693 in the Fall if we are to accommodate all of you in your second year of study.

3.  Clinical people need to take both 595, Assessment of Intelligence, and 596, Personality Assessment, and there will be two ways to go.  596 will focus on projective techniques (e.g., the Rorschach) in the Spring and on objective tests (e.g., the MMPI) in the Fall.  Either is fine with us, but you'll probably want to take 595 and 596 in different semesters.  So, take 596 in the Spring and 595 in the Fall, or 595 in the Spring and 596 in the Fall.  (A caveat:  Those of you in the doctoral program must take the Fall offering of 596.)

4.  New School students must take the 6-hour Child Assessment block (presently offered as 535 and 694) either this Spring or next.  You're also welcome to take either version of 596, but those courses will be electives that will not replace any of your other required courses.

5.  Clinical and School students should take Psychopathology, PSY 530, either in the Spring or in Summer I.

6.  You've got to take PSY 587, Advanced Statistics, either this Spring or next year in Spring, 2007.

7.  Come get advised next week, October 31 through November 4.  Pre-registration begins Sunday the 6th, and we'll not hold spaces for you in the Clinical practice courses, even if you need them to graduate, after November 5.  Appointments for the entire week will be available at 9:47 or so Monday morning.

8.  Please read items 1 through 7 again, and plan accordingly.

I'll look forward to visiting with you next week.

Cheers,

Doc M.