[Psychmasters] Motivational Interviewing, part deux

Miller, Rowland Spence PSY_RSM at shsu.edu
Wed Oct 25 11:37:30 CDT 2006

Hi Folks,

This is a reminder that the second part of the MI workshop
will occur on Sat afternoon 10/28/06.  We will be in the LSC room 315,
and to avoid an extra charge for opening the LSC early, we're scheduled
from 10-3 with an hour lunch break.  This session will involve a lot of
practice/hands on types of work.  I hope you all will be able to make
it; also, please feel free to attend if you were not able to make the
first workshop.  See you Saturday!

Craig Henderson

Information regarding Saturday's workshop from Dub Wright-

Craig-
If you have contact with the attendees, you could tell them that they
will all need to come up with "something they feel two ways about" and
be prepared to talk about it for about 10 minutes.  This could be
abortion, the war, or moving back home, or changing majors or contacting
an old friend, etc.  This will be for role play in the training that I
will use.  Sometimes knowing in advance lets them think about it.

If you would like and have a student who could be a "subject" I could
start off pretty early by doing a 15 minute MI session with a subject.
That person is NOT to be the client from hell!!  I do not want a
bi-polar prostitute HIV positive on cocaine who has three children!   I
would want a "normal" person with a "normal" type problem.  When I do
this in trainings I encourage the "client" to come up with a "composite"
from their own experiences blended with experiences of others.   For
example they may have a brother, or a client who has a brother, and then
they can take an example from another male and put it on that "brother"
as the problem.

What does NOT work is a composite by a 25 year old student playing a
mature mother with a 21 year old daughter - they haven't experience
enough of life to think through it.  A 25 year old student role playing
someone with substance abuse problems, or relationship problems or other
life problems is realistic.  The role player would need to have some
ideas in their minds about "their interests" the family etc.

Dub Wright