[Psychmasters] FW: 2008 Summer Research Opportunity Program in Psychology

Miller, Rowland Spence PSY_RSM at shsu.edu
Wed Jan 2 10:17:21 CST 2008

________________________________

From: Paul H. White [mailto:paul.h.white at utah.edu]
Sent: Sun 12/30/2007 4:31 PM
To: spsp-discuss at stolaf.edu
Subject: 2008 Summer Research Opportunity Program in Psychology

Dear Colleague:

We are writing to let you and your students know about the Summer Research Opportunities Program in Psychology at the University of Utah. SROP, begun in 1992, is aimed at enhancing the research careers of underrepresented students in psychology and to increase the number of underrepresented students who enter Ph.D. programs in psychology, helping to diversify the field and broaden the range of perspectives. Program objectives are to provide students with the preparation to become research scholars, stimulate serious consideration of Ph.D. study, prepare students for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and pursue careers in university teaching and research.

This year's SROP will commence on May 31 and continue until August 1, 2008. We accept 8 undergraduate students (going into their junior year or higher, including recent graduates not accepted or attending a graduate program) and 4 pre-Master's graduate students (those who have not completed the master's degree) into SROP. Travel, stipend (approximately $3,000 for undergraduates & $4,000 for graduate students), room & board, tuition and Kaplan GRE preparation expenses are paid for all students selected into the program. SROP is funded by the University of Utah and the National Institute of Mental Health. During the summer semester, students conduct original research with a faculty mentor, attend a weekly seminar on preparation for a research career in psychology and related fields, attend a GRE preparation course, and frequent social events. Students present their research in oral and poster sessions at the University of Utah, which some students and mentors have later presented at regional and national conferences (conference attendances are partially funded by SROP).

It is our hope that you would take a look at and direct interested undergraduate and graduate students to our website (www.psych.utah.edu/srop). The latest, up-to-date information is located there, including a brochure and downloadable application (applications to be received by February 15, 2008; we will begin reviewing them at that time until all slots are filled). Please contact one of us if you have further questions or if you would like to receive some brochures.

Sincerely,

Paul H. White, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of
Social Psychology & Ethnic Studies