[Psychmasters] FW: Opportunity for Red Cross Training for Mental Health Professionals

Reddoch, Rhonda RNR001 at SHSU.EDU
Wed Feb 18 07:42:10 CST 2009

Rhonda Reddoch, Department Secretary
Psychology & Philosophy Department
College of Humanities & Social Sciences Building, #390
Sam Houston State University
Box 2447
Huntsville, Texas 77341
Phone 936.294.3552  Fax 936.294.3798
rhondar at shsu.edu<mailto:rhondar at shsu.edu>

From: Cyndi Mundt [mailto:cynthia.mundt at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:55 PM
To: Reddoch, Rhonda
Subject: Opportunity for Red Cross Training for Mental Health Professionals

Hi Rhonda,

Could you please forward the following to the Psychology master's students/faculty and the students/faculty of the Counselor Education program?

Thank you,

Cyndi

Psychology/Counseling faculty and graduate students,

Dr. Rebecca Hamlin, a graduate of SHSU's clinical psychology doctoral program, has generously offered to provide a one day training experience for students and supervisors. This training would prepare attendees to respond to disasters in Red Cross shelters. Dr. Hamlin is a co-chair of the Texas Psychological Association's Disaster Response Network.

It is important to note that students would only be allowed to respond if they are supervised by a licensed psychologist who has also received Red Cross training. The training would carry over post-licensure and is applicable in all states. For licensed psychologists, portions of this training could also be counted as CEU's.

As a student who recently completed interviewing for internships, I can tell you that this is a unique experience that you can discuss in your essays and interviews and can also highlight in your CV. I found that interviewers were often very interested in hearing about the experiences I had that were not typical to most training programs. And, as we have been unfortunately made aware, our geographical region has experienced large-scale disasters in the recent past and having this training could enable students to receive real world experience in disaster relief.

This training would provide information on many topics relevant to being in the field following a disaster, including the following:

1. What to do/not do during a disaster,
2. Self care and burnout,
3. The roles that students can fill,
4. Ethics training, and
5. Psychological first aid.

The training would take place on campus on a Saturday and would last for 8 hours. At this point, I need to hear from students and supervisors who would DEFINITELY be interested in taking part in the training. Dates have not yet been discussed and Dr. Hamlin is aware that the exact number of attendees will depend on the date. Please respond to cynthia.mundt at gmail.com<mailto:cynthia.mundt at gmail.com> by Wednesday, February 25 if you are interested in attending.

Thank you,

Cyndi

Cynthia A. Mundt, M.A.
Doctoral Candidate in Clinical Psychology
stdcam43 at shsu.edu<mailto:stdcam43 at shsu.edu>