[Psychmasters] FW: David Buss to visit SHSU

Anastasi, Jeffery JSA001 at SHSU.EDU
Wed Oct 14 10:04:06 CDT 2009

FYI - see below

Jeffrey S. Anastasi
Sam Houston State University
Department of Psychology
Huntsville, TX  77341-2447
phone: 936-294-3049
e-mail: jeff.anastasi at shsu.edu<mailto:jeff.anastasi at shsu.edu>

From: Deaton, Paula
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:15 PM
To: Wilson, Christopher
Subject: David Buss to visit SHSU

David Buss will be visiting us next month, so was thinking your faculty and students might be interested in seeing his talks. See the announcement below from our Chair. If you have any grad students that would like to attend the luncheon (we have up to 25 student spaces) let me know. Tell them it is first come first serve and they should email me directly. We also have room for a few faculty, so if you have any faculty that would really like to have lunch with him, then please tell them to contact me directly too. I will keep you all posted regarding the exact times and locations of the talks.

Cheers, Raelynn

News and Updates:
 1.  Ok, we have the well-known evolutionary psychologist David Buss from UT Austin (http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/Group/BussLAB/) scheduled to come visit campus on November 15th and 16th, Sunday and Monday.  Thanks to Rae for arranging this.  This is part of the Student Services program, so much appreciation to them for funding.  He will arrive Sunday evening and there will be either a dinner or reception (to be announced) that night.  He will be here all day Monday, where he will give one public forum talk (more general) at 11am in the LSC, followed by a luncheon, and then a more specific scientific talk for biology and psychology at 4pm. There will be a reception following in the atrium of Lee Drain with hors d'oeuvres and refreshments so that everyone can meet and talk with Dr. Buss.

[https://cas.shsu.edu/owa/attachment.ashx?id=RgAAAAC6NhqrQfEOTLDWXWBJsbN8BwAnaymCFR3HSZSXNnG9iX76AAANSdmqAAAnaymCFR3HSZSXNnG9iX76AXpclFGGAAAJ&attcnt=1&attid0=EADJv1lNk4HmT56ig4Tw%2bTZ%2f]<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0205483380/sr=1-2/qid=1061939192/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books&qid=1061939192&sr=1-2>                            [https://cas.shsu.edu/owa/attachment.ashx?id=RgAAAAC6NhqrQfEOTLDWXWBJsbN8BwAnaymCFR3HSZSXNnG9iX76AAANSdmqAAAnaymCFR3HSZSXNnG9iX76AXpclFGGAAAJ&attcnt=1&attid0=EACfXEziGhCJR75aFbuUSZga] <http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0805088342/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link>

The luncheon is held by Student Services, who has invited some members from Biological Sciences.  They would like to see a number of students there, so talk with your graduate students and research active undergraduates about coming.  They are inviting 20-25 students, so send me your nominees.  There will also be 3-5 faculty invited, so if you are interested, also let me know.  Send me names by the end of the week so I can give Student Services the list.  Everyone is welcome at the Sunday night dinner, so let Rae know if you plan on attending.

Raelynn Deaton, PhD
Assistant Professor
Sam Houston State University
Department of Biological Sciences
P.O. Box 2116
Huntsville, TX 77341
Lee Drain Bldg Room 142 (office) or 102 (Lab)
Ph: 936-294-1550
Fax: 936-294-3940
rdeaton at shsu.edu<mailto:rdeaton at shsu.edu>