[Psychmasters] Summer Elective Course Offering

Allen, Brian bja009 at SHSU.EDU
Mon Oct 18 14:56:05 CDT 2010

Hello everyone,

This coming summer I will be offering a 3-credit course entitled: "Trauma & Traumatic Stress: Theory, Research, & Practice." The course will be listed as a 700-level (doctoral) course, but will be available to Master's students. However, I must stress that this course will be taught at a doctoral level, in a seminar format. This will entail a considerable amount of reading, writing, and class discussion. This course will have a decidedly evidence-based approach, and students will be expected to produce papers, opinions/comments, presentations, etc., that are firmly based in current research and research-supported theory. Topics will include: etiological factors, biological underpinnings, social/cultural determinants, complex trauma, diagnostic issues, and evidence-based assessment and treatment, among others. A range of traumatic events (e.g., disasters, rape, child abuse, war) will be considered, and material related to children, adolescents, and adults will be discussed. The class will most likely meet once or twice per week and will span both summer sessions. I need to know the approximate number of people who may sign up for the course so we can plan accordingly. If you have an interest in trauma or simply want to know more about it, and are willing to complete the expected work requirements, please e-mail me (BJA009 at shsu.edu) to convey your interest. Also, Dr. Anastasi has approved this course as a "Practitioner elective" for the Master's programs.

Best,
Dr. Allen

Brian Allen, Psy.D.
Assistant Professor