[Psychmasters] PSYC 5035: Suicide Prevention, Assessment, and Risk Management

Anastasi, Jeffery JSA001 at SHSU.EDU
Fri Nov 1 09:19:17 CDT 2013

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that Dr. Cramer is planning on offering a course next fall (Fall 2014) on suicide that some of you might be interested in. I simply wanted to let you know that this was in the planning stages and it appears that it will be offered. See the description below.

Jeffrey S. Anastasi
Sam Houston State University
Department of Psychology
Huntsville, TX  77341-2447
phone: 936-294-3049
e-mail: jeff.anastasi at shsu.edu<mailto:jeff.anastasi at shsu.edu>

Subject: PSYC5035 Fall 2014: Suicide Prevention, Assessment, and Risk Management

The course will be a skills based course, focused on applied, hands-on practice of skills necessary for suicide prevention, assessment and risk management.  As such, it will be open to school, clinical and counselor education, as I am aiming to train mental health professionals on from the standpoint of existing competencies in this area.  We will review topics including, but not limited to, leading theories of suicide, contemporary ethical issues, standards of practice for assessment and documentation, and empirically-supported approaches to assessment and risk management.  Moreover, the course will not contain written exams in the traditional sense.  The students will be required to conduct two assignments: a) develop a presentation/paper topic of their choice over the course of the semester, and b) conduct a mock risk assessment and documentation toward the end of the semester.  Weekly reading and seminar participation will also be expected.