[Psychmasters] FW: 6th Annual CHSS Medicine, Humanities, and Social Sciences Conference

Anastasi, Jeffery JSA001 at SHSU.EDU
Thu Dec 12 18:06:14 CST 2013

FYI

Jeffrey S. Anastasi
Sam Houston State University
Department of Psychology
Huntsville, TX  77341-2447
phone: 936-294-3049
e-mail: jeff.anastasi at shsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Child III, Paul
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:52 AM

Dear SHSU Graduate Students,

On February 27-28, 2014, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences will host the 6th annual Medicine, Humanities, and Social Sciences Conference, an interdisciplinary meeting of scholars, health care professionals, social and behavioral scientists, students, and others working at the intersection of medicine, humanities, and the social sciences.

This year's conference features scholarly panels on an array of topics: medicine and the environment; medicine, power, and authority; the future of medicine; health and communication; and the body and mind in literature and art. There is also a full poster exhibition, including a graduate student poster competition. James Olson, Distinguished Professor of History at Sam Houston State University, will deliver the plenary address.

The conference planning committee is eager to have our graduate students attend. As encouragement we are offering $50 scholarships and a waiver of the $50 registration fee (a $100 total value) to the first twenty SHSU graduate students who sign up to attend the conference. (The expectation is that the students attend all or most of the sessions, which will be held on Friday, February 28.)

If you are interested, please fill out the attached application form and send it to me at the address below. Applications must be received by January 15, 2014; awards will be made on a first-come basis.

Although the call for conference papers has been closed, we have extended the invitation for poster proposals. Again, we are particularly eager to have our SHSU graduate students participate. To that end, we are offering a (generous) cash prize for the best graduate student poster presentation.

I have attached the call for posters.

Please do consider attending and participating in this conference. Not only does it serve your academic and professional development, but it could also add to your professional résumé.

Paul Child
Professor of English
Program Chair, 6th Annual CHSS Medicine, Humanities, and Social Sciences Conference

eng_pwc at shsu.edu