[Psychmasters] Important information!

Langley, Hillary hlangley at shsu.edu
Fri Sep 27 14:03:35 CDT 2019

Dear all,

I am just touching base with you all to let you know about a few things!

1. I am Dr. Hillary Langley and I am serving as the interim coordinator of the two MA programs in Psychology for the 2019-2020 academic year, in case you didn't know. Our previous fearless leader - Dr. Harman - has entered phased retirement as of this summer, so I have stepped in as interim coordinator while we search for a permanent replacement/coordinator. I am trained as a Developmental Psychologist/Scientist (and not as a Clinician), so I am learning a lot about the clinical curriculum and TX licensure regulations. I just wanted to introduce myself so you know who to go to - ME! - if you have questions about your MA program, courses/curriculum/registration, graduation requirements, thesis-related "stuff," etc.! I might not always know the answer, but I promise to work diligently to find out the answers to all of your questions.

2. I know that many of you are already starting to think about registering for the Spring 2020 semester. I am, too! You'll each need to meet with me - as your graduate program advisor - for 20-30 minutes before you are cleared to register so we can go through your degree plan and I can advise you on what courses you should register for. I'll likely set up a google doc where you all can sign up for time slots for this advising meeting, so be on the lookout for that email with the link to the google doc within the next couple of weeks. As an FYI, registration opens for MA students on Monday, November 4 at 8:00am.

3. If you are a first-year student and have decided to complete a master's thesis but have not found a thesis chair/mentor, let me know. I want to make sure that you all have what you need to succeed!

4. For students in the MA in Clinical Program: Within the last year, there have been some changes to the licensure rules/regulations for the state of TX that you may or may not be aware of. I am working with several other professors in the Clinical program to compile information about these changes in order to figure out how they will affect you (if at all), so be on the lookout for an email from me in the near future about that! So, more to come!

5. Next Wednesday, October 2, from 10am-1pm there will be a graduate fair in the LSC for undergrad students interested in graduate programs at SHSU. We are hosting several tables at the fair - including one for the MA in Clinical Psychology and one for the MA in General Psychology - and I need a couple of volunteers to help me answer questions and hand out Psychology goodies to interested students. Please let me know if you available and willing to help out for a block of time between 10am and 1pm next Wednesday!

I think that is it for now. Expect fairly regular emails/updates from me now that the semester is in full swing and I'm finding my stride in this new role! I want you all to feel supported, so please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions, comments, concerns, ideas for improvement, or just want to share pictures your pets! :)

Happy Friday!
Hillary

-----
Hillary A. Langley, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Interim Coordinator, Masters Programs in Psychology
Sam Houston State University
Email: hlangley at shsu.edu
Office: CHSS Room 376, (936) 294-3260