[Psychmasters] Important legislation

Henderson, Craig CEH003 at SHSU.EDU
Thu Apr 15 16:04:51 CDT 2021

Hey folks, during SHAPA last night, Aleha Cantu shared a very helpful legislative update. In addition to the updates on bills relevant to the practice of psychology, I would like to in particular draw your attention to slide 4 and some concerning bills that would have what I think would be a devestating impact on transgender individuals.  I have already called today, and I found the staffer in Congressman Bailes' office (our State Representative for Walker County) particularly receptive to what I had to say.  Please consider calling and registering your opinion as well.  If you all have not done this before, I'll say that it is really a positive experience overall.  In addition to feeling like you are doing the right thing, these individuals are trained to listen to the concerns of their constituents, which makes it a pretty low-key affair.  The phone number of Congressman Bailes is 512.463.0570, and that of Senator Schwertner is 512.463.0105.  In addition to the Senate Bill 1646 listed in the slide, there is a similar bill SB 1311.  If you do not know what to say, you could try something like this:

My name is XX, and I am a constituent of Congressman Bailes in Walker County.  I am opposed to (or support, if that is your inclination) Senate Bill 1646 and Senate Bill 1311 (or House Bill 1399) for the following reason(s) ___________.  I hope Congressman Bailes will vote no on these Bills if you seen them in the House.

Thanks very much for your consideration!

Craig