[Psychmasters] GSPO Elections

Riggs, Shelley sxr142 at SHSU.EDU
Fri May 28 13:03:29 CDT 2021

Congratulations Alexus and the rest of the GSPO board!  We appreciate all that you do!

Shelley A. Riggs, Ph.D.
Professor and Director of Psychology Masters Programs
Department of Psychology and Philosophy, Box 2447
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2447

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Electronic mail is not a secure medium. The privacy of messages can not be guaranteed. This email message, including all attachments, may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. It is to be viewed only by the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the sender of this information and delete your copy immediately. Your cooperation is appreciated.

________________________________
From: Psychmasters <psychmasters-bounces at shsu.edu> on behalf of Uhl, Alexus <anu005 at SHSU.EDU>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 11:59 AM
To: psychmasters <psychmasters at SHSU.EDU>
Subject: [Psychmasters] GSPO Elections

​Hello Everyone!

Please join me in welcoming our new GSPO members! Everyone ran un-opposed so there was no need for an election.

President: Stephanie Goodwin - I am submitting my statement of interest for the position of GSPO president. I have demonstrated in past positions (student rep) my ability or organize events such as interview weekend, and I believe that these skills would transfer well into this position. Additionally, during my time as student rep I demonstrated my communication skills and believe that these would come in handy communicating with all other members of the GSPO team. Prior to attending SHSU, I owned and operated a dance studio with 52 students and families, and only 1 other instructor, all while working a full-time job external to this. During this time I solidified time management, planning, and communication skills that would make me an ideal candidate for this position.

Master's Vice President: Alexus Uhl - I believe I would be a good fit for the position of master's Vice President for many reasons. I have held numerous leadership positions throughout my life, starting back in high school where I was co-captain of my dance team to my undergraduate career where I acted as social media chair for my university's very first Model United Nations program to my current position in the weTHRIVE lab as website manager and a mentor to undergraduate students. Secondly, I believe I can hold this position well due to my organization and time management skills. I pride myself on being on top of my work and school schedule and balancing these on top of additional research work I do in my research lab.

Vice President: Debbie Torres - Hello, my name is Debbie Torres and I will be a third year student in the Clinical Psychology doctoral program. I am interested in running for Vice President. I believe that my experience as an officer in GSPO has given me the necessary skill set and knowledge to assist the incoming president with their duties. Additionally, I have witnessed and discussed the duties for this position with past officers and believe my qualifications and support best fit the position of Vice President. ​

Treasurer: Rebekah Brown - I would like to submit my application for the GSPO treasurer position. With the circumstances of the past year, I would love a chance to be more involved with the program and help handle the program finances! I have great organizational skills and am proficient in Microsoft Excel (which I use to manage my own personal budget). At my undergraduate university I took a course specifically focusing on Microsoft Excel and Finance. I also have experience collecting large sums of funds for a few organizations in the past (student council and National Honors Society). I consider myself to be very conscientious and detail-oriented, especially when it comes to keeping track of and recording important information. I believe I would make an excellent treasurer for the GSPO and I look forward to making more connections with my program peers through this position!

Secretary: Cayla Hari - I believe I would be a good fit for this position because due to my past experiences in engaging in the tasks that are the duties of the secretary. For example, I have an extensive history of taking minutes for meetings. In the past, I have served as the minutes recorder in lab meetings for Dr. Salami and as the secretary of the Diversity Committee. Moreover, my past experience in undergraduate studies as the philanthropy​ chair for a 400-member Greek organization prepared me well for organizing and tracking service hours. Lastly, I have assisted organizations such as the Oxford, MS branch of Feed the Hunger in managing their social media. Therefore, I believe that I have the necessary qualifications to serve as secretary of GSPO and would be honored to do so if chosen.​

Alexus Uhl, B.S.
Clinical Psychology Master's Program | Sam Houston State University
Graduate Research Assistant | weTHRIVE lab
she/her/hers