[Psychmasters] Volunteer Still Needed- Group Intervention Opportunity

Hillegass, Charlotte cjh049 at SHSU.EDU
Mon Aug 9 19:26:37 CDT 2021

Greetings Everyone!

The weTHRIVE Lab is looking for a graduate student to assist with our in person session of Supervisor Support and Emotion Regulation Skills Program with first responders. This is a voluntary position that would involve assisting group facilitators for an 8 hour session on Thursday, August 26th in Houston TX. The session will likely go from 8am to 4p.  Tasks would include facilitating the training for 1 to 2 hours, handing out worksheets and providing assistance to the two lead group facilitators. This is a clinical training experience opportunity!

Please contact Dr. Temilola Salami by Wednesday if you are interested. Her email is txs047 at shsu.edu. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me as well at cjh049 at shsu.edu.

Program information:

Supervisor Support and Emotion Regulation Skills Program Among First Responders
This project was developed in response to a previous research study that was conducted to examine mental health within first responders. We found that, in line with previous research, our participants had higher rates of mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and harmful drinking behaviors. We developed a two-part program (supervisor support and individual skills training) to provide first responders with the skills and training they need to mitigate the psychological consequences of the unique stressors they experience (e.g., critical incidents, work stress, etc.). With support from Dr. Matthias Berking, we will be using an adapted version of the Affect Regulation Training Manual (Berking & Schwarz, 2014) as our skills-based intervention. This is a relatively brief emotion regulation skills training that has previously been shown to be effective amongst law enforcement communities. We plan to evaluate the effectiveness of a modified version of this intervention in Texas first responders and provide services to a vulnerable population.​

Best!

Charlotte Hillegass