[Sigtaudelt] Arts Festival/Meeting/Book Club

Joseph Hill noeticend at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 02:16:16 CDT 2003

Sigma Tau Delta,
First and foremost, sorry I missed the meeting on
thursday....what exactly did I miss out on?  And as
far as the book club goes, here's a proposition....Dr.
Fox and Dr. Graham mentioned a wide array of plays
that are going to be displayed in the spring season in
Houston.  It would a good idea to use the fall
semester to meet several times and read and discuss
one of these plays and then, in the spring, actually
go and see the play, as a group.  It would be good way
to see if our intellectual theorizing actually comes
to fruition.  Specifically, Dr. Graham mentioned that
Topdog/Underdog by Susan Lori-Parks is playing, so
that might be an idea for a potential play.  Let me
know your thoughts on this.  And as far as the arts
festival goes, there is good news, they are going to
charge a five dollar admission fee to the illustrious
'sigma tau delta' poetry workshop and that money will
go directly to our organization.  We basically need to
fill an hour of time with instruction in poetry.  That
should not be a problem, so try, if you can to recruit
a couple more volunteers and we will try to have
several meetings of these volunteers before the 25th
of october.  Basically, depending on how many children
are interested, I was thinking of splitting them up
into groups, with one or two people leading each group
in the basis of poetry, meaning of basic poetry.  And
on that note, I spoke to Sigma Tau Delta Alumni, Chris
Taylor, and we are in the process of forming the
inter-Arts council for the planning of the second
annual arts festival in spring of 04.  Let me know if
you're interested in establishing an intellectual
community at this lackluster university.  Thanks,
Joe Hill

Joe,

We have decided to charge a small fee of $5 for the
poetry workshop as
an
effort to guarantee your audience.  The fee will go to
your
organization as
a fundraiser.  What attendance limit do you wish to
place on the
workshop?

I plan to put you in Richmond Hall.  We will have
tables set up there
for
concessions.  Can you plan your workshop for 10:00?
How long do you
need to
run.  My plan only works if we can have you finished
in time for
serious
eating to start around 11:30.  I have other options if
this won't work.

Do you wish to have any other concession or
fundraiser?  You had
mentioned
it once.  The concession in Richmond Hall will be
hotdogs, frito pie,
chili
dogs and such.  The proceeds from this concession goes
to the Impact
Huntsville project, a home repair program for low
income, elderly or
handicapped residents of Huntsville and Walker County.

There are 2 more planning meetings for the Festival,
Oct. 16 & 23.  The
one
on the 23 may end up being a work session to set up
the Hall and the
fine
arts exhibit if we can get the space that early.

TTFN
Tamara