[Sigtaudelt] Meeting and February Event Info!

Johnson, Ruth rdj007 at SHSU.EDU
Thu Feb 4 20:24:05 CST 2010

Dear Members, Future Members, and Sponsors of Sigma Tau Delta,

The February member meeting was a huge success. The energy, participation and awesome ideas give me a great feeling about the remainder of the semester!

Okay, so, in the month of February we are having our first event. Thanks to Public Relations officer Brandy's hard work and dedication, we have approval from Student Activities to hold a 1-hour event in the LSC mall area.

The event: The Love/Hate Poetry Reading
Date: February 9, 2010
Time:1:30-2:30 pm
Do whaaaa? We are going to stand up and read poems! :) Basically, please bring 1-2 poems, either that you have written or that you find by another author, all about loving love, or hating it! Anything to do with love will work.

The point? Well, for starters it will be fun. Secondly, it is a festive way to promote literature. The best part, though, is that we, Sigma Tau Delta, will be able to get together, share our love of literature and writing, and involve ourselves with other people at our school.

Georgia is bringing heart shaped lollipops, Thomas is bringing boxes of sweethearts, and I am bringing Valentine's chocolates. Anyone who participates gets a piece of candy. Who doesn't love free candy?!!?

Chris (Marek) has volunteered to bring a stack of extra poems so that people who didn't know about it can participate also if they like.

I am going to look into how we could do a children's book drive on campus. Promoting literacy among younger folks is one of our neglected objectives, and it seems we are all interested in picking it back up. More details later.

Also, who would like to volunteer to go talk to the public library about possibly organizing book readings for Huntsville kids? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Next on the Agenda, Induction.

Next week I will be calling the school to try and book Austin Hall for the tentative date of Friday, April 30th. For anyone who has not submitted their application for membership, please do so ASAP. Applications can be found on the tack board (I believe it is on the 4th floor, possibly the 3rd).

We still need to set a date for the March event in celebration of St. Patrick's Day, Ireland, and Irish Literature.

Also, before I contact Dr. Shemak to volunteer for whatever she needs in Women's History Month (March), I would like to have some volunteers already on deck... Who is interested in helping?

I think that is about what I have for now.

Here is the link for the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=ts&gid=28268724931   JOIN! DO IT! DO IT NOW! :)

Next, I would like to see generally how available people are on any given week, so if you would please go to this poll and fill out your general availability for week days (like, when you are at work and in class), I would really appreciate it. Also, I left everything on the hour mark, so if you have to miss a half hour of something, you can either mark it as not available or available, whichever you like.

http://www.doodle.com/5fs7dq4i3yhqrzny

Thanks so much guys!

Your faithful president,
Ruthie

P.S. Tentative date for my personal favorite event each semester, Faculty Vs. Students TRIVIAL PURSUIT, is 6:00pm on Wednesday, April 14, 2010. I will need to get a reservation for Hastings. Mark your calendars!

This site is awesome: www.shelsilverstein.com/indexSite.html

My favorite Shel Silverstein Poem:

INVITATION

If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer . . .
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire,
For we have some flax golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!

and as my father says, "Work hard, do good work and have faith."