[Sigtaudelt] Weekly Newsletter

Kindred, Julian jek014 at SHSU.EDU
Mon Feb 15 11:14:53 CST 2016

Good morning Deltans!

We've got some good news this week and more to come, so keep an eye on your inboxes!

Best,
Julian Kindred, VP.

Bake Sale Report
A very special thanks to Donna Finney (Public Relations officer), Kelsey Gunter (treasurer), Melanie Brega, and Cora Davis for assisting so much with the Bake Sale last week, which generated approximately $300.00. An additional thanks goes out to everyone who donated baked goods or made purchases to help fund not only the upcoming convention trip but future activities with Sigma Tau Delta.

Dr. Dowdey
Please keep our chapter sponsor Dr. Dowdey in your thoughts and prayers. She is currently fighting a bad bout of Bronchitis.

Writer's Forum
Wednesday at 5:30 in Evans 460. This group has grown incredibly impressive, especially with the attendance of SHSU Creative Writing alumni. If you are working on any kind of creative writing I highly recommend bringing copies to this group for discussion. Bring multiple double spaced copies on Wednesday and share in potluck, free coffee, and creative, constructive, discussion.

Black History Month
Honoring Black History month this week I'd like to direct your attention to Octavia Butler.

"Octavia Estelle Butler, often referred to as the "grand dame of science fiction," was born in Pasadena, California on June 22, 1947.  She received an Associate of Arts degree in 1968 from Pasadena Community College, and also attended California State University in Los Angeles and the University of California, Los Angeles.  During 1969 and 1970, she studied at the Screenwriter's Guild Open Door Program and the Clarion Science Fiction Writers' Workshop, where she took a class with science fiction master Harlan Ellison (who later became her mentor), and which led to Butler selling her first science fiction stories."
-- http://octaviabutler.org/bio/
*         1980, Creative Arts Award, L.A. YWCA
*         1984, Hugo Award for Best Short Story - Speech Sounds
*         1984, Nebula Award for Best Novelette - Bloodchild
*         1985, Science Fiction Chronicle Award for Best Novelette - Bloodchild
*         1985, Locus Award for Best Novelette - Bloodchild
*         1985, Hugo Award for Best Novelette - Bloodchild
*         1995, MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant
*         1999, Nebula Award for Best Novel - Parable of the Talents
*         2000, PEN American Center lifetime achievement award in writing
*         2010, Inductee Science Fiction Hall of Fame
*         2012, Solstice Award, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America

Contests
https://spiderroadpress.submittable.com/submit/39508
Flash Fiction contest complex female protagonists!

http://julian-kindred.com/

The Place in the Mist
http://www.amazon.com/Place-Mist-Skies-Grey-Part-ebook/dp/B00SGG22MY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423777870&sr=8-2&keywords=julian+kindred

Under the Mountain: Book 2 of the Hawkridge Chronicles
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Mountain-Book-Hawkridge-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B00TEYNODI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423777870&sr=8-3&keywords=julian+kindred