Music Therapy credentials

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:52:49 -0500

I hear Dori's feelings of "being left out" when the credential seems to not be the ticket to employment.
Unfortunately, our
credential is just that - not a license or a franchise that protects us from other folks who want to do what we
do.

The public schools and institutions of Texas understand the credential and only hire persons who have it as
music
therapists; however, this is not to say that they might not hire someone under another general classification
that might
include things very similar to what we do.

Your credential is only a small part of who you are.  If your knowledge is adequate, if your skills are good, if
you know how
to network, and if you keep on knockiing on doors to demonstrate what you can do, you will eventually find
employment as a
music therapist.  There is no law to prevent someone else from getting those jobs, if the employers are
willing to hire them.

Negative assaults on these individuals don't really serve any useful purpose.  They only indicate a level of
intimidation by
such competition, and if what they do is really so troubling, perhaps we need to learn why we have these
feelings.

In my encounters with non-credentialed others in the field, most of whom did not call themselves music
therapists, I have
treated them with respect, since they have broken no laws.  I have also gone out of my way to learn about
the things they
do and how they do them, in order that I might improve my own skills.  The fact that they have a job must
mean that someone
has seen value in what they do.

Hang in there, Dori.  Don't be intimidated by the competition, whether credentialed or not.  In this society
there will always be
competition, and we have to learn to deal with it.

Joe Pinson, MA, MT-BC
upbeat@gte.net
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 10/12/1999 at 9:52:28 PM