Musicianship in MT

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 20:41:39 -0500

OOps, quantum leap there, Joe
Don't remember saying that I didn't use my musical skills. I use them
frequently and effectively. I was referring to my "performance chops". I am
a professional drummer. I utilize percussion instruments and the drum set
frequently in my work. Rarely, however, do I sit behind the instrument
while doing therapy and play as I would in a professional performance
situation, having a strong philosophical conviction that the client(s) is
the focus of the therapeutic process---, not my musical abilities.  My work
is out there to see ("Music Therapy: Current Practice and Future Trends"
(-- a co-produced graduate school project, circa late 80's) and/or to read
about "A Cognitive Approach to Therapy Through Music", JMT, Summer '87.
Hope to see you at the World Congress.
Dave
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 10/23/1999 at 8:40:52 PM