Re-admission rates - evidence?

Anna Maratos Tooth annna@cwcom.net
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:28:40 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C04C93.534E0760

Dear Christian

That's what I'd feared.  At least there are no outcome studies to say it =
*doesn't* work!  I hadn't been planning to do any research myself, but =
if I were going to, I think re-admission rates would be a good outcome =
variable, alongside more questionnairy things, a la Odell Miller (see =
'Clinical Applications in Music Therapy in Psychiatry' Wigram et al).

Thanks very much for responding and good luck with your doctorate,

Anna
  -----=20
  Dear Anna,=20
  I don't. But my experience (I am currently doing PhD research in music =
therapy with mentally ill children/adolescents) is that the whole body =
of evidence from music therapy outcome studies is so small that you =
probably will have to take a much broader focus - look for studies =
investigating the use of music therapy with *any* kind of mentally ill =
patients! And/or look for psychotherapy studies focusing on your =
population.=20
  Are you going to use readmission rates as an outcome variable?=20

  Good luck!=20

  Christian.=20
   =20

  Anna Maratos Tooth wrote:=20

    Dear list Does anyone know of any outcome research supporting the =
use of music therapy in the community for severely mentally ill patients =
who have high readmission rates to hospital?  There is currently a =
Randomised Control Trial taking place in Cambridge, UK - anyone know of =
any others? Thanks Anna

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C04C93.534E0760

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear Christian</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That's what I'd feared.&nbsp; At least =
there are no=20
outcome studies to say it *doesn't* work!&nbsp; I hadn't been planning =
to do any=20
research myself, but if I were going to, I think re-admission rates =
would be a=20
good outcome variable, alongside more questionnairy things, a la Odell =
Miller=20
(see 'Clinical Applications in Music Therapy in Psychiatry' Wigram et=20
al).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks very much for responding and =
good luck with=20
your doctorate,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anna</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- </DIV>Dear Anna,=20
  <P>I don't. But my experience (I am currently doing PhD research in =
music=20
  therapy with mentally ill children/adolescents) is that the whole body =
of=20
  evidence from music therapy outcome studies is so small that you =
probably will=20
  have to take a much broader focus - look for studies investigating the =
use of=20
  music therapy with *any* kind of mentally ill patients! And/or look =
for=20
  psychotherapy studies focusing on your population. <BR>Are you going =
to use=20
  readmission rates as an outcome variable?=20
  <P>Good luck!=20
  <P>Christian. <BR>&nbsp;=20
  <P>Anna Maratos Tooth wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3D"CITE">
    <STYLE></STYLE>
    <FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D-1>Dear list</FONT></FONT> <FONT=20
    face=3DArial><FONT size=3D-1>Does anyone know of any outcome =
research supporting=20
    the use of music therapy in the community for severely mentally ill =
patients=20
    who have high readmission rates to hospital?&nbsp; There is =
currently a=20
    Randomised Control Trial taking place in Cambridge, UK - anyone know =
of any=20
    others?</FONT></FONT> <FONT face=3DArial><FONT =
size=3D-1>Thanks</FONT></FONT>=20
    <FONT face=3DArial><FONT=20
size=3D-1>Anna</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C04C93.534E0760--