Interns and charting

Carina Ayers CAYERS@mind.hcpc.uth.tmc.edu
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:28:24 -0600

For those who are wondering, we were told that interns can chart in the med
record but we are no longer allowed to co-sign as insurance companies are
refusing to pay for services.  Apparently, they have done this as a result
of students being used to provide services with no supervision and
unscrupulous providers simply co-signing to get billing.
At this point, we are looking at the intern charting the progress and then
the therapist has to come along and write a separate note to indicate and
confirm his/her presence in group.  I don't know how or why this came to
pass... it really mucks things up - and like Laurie said, I am familiar with
the co-sign method, not this mess of duplicate charting... anyone else heard
of this or have any ideas as to how to combat it or deal with it...
Even our doctors must write separate detailed notes from their resident...

Carina Ayers, MT-BC
UT-Houston, Harris County Psychiatric Center
2800 S. MacGregor Way
Houston, Tx 77021
(713)741-5989
cwebb@mind.hcpc.uth.tmc.edu