[Psychmasters] GSPO Elections

Uhl, Alexus anu005 at SHSU.EDU
Fri May 28 11:59:55 CDT 2021

​Hello Everyone!

Please join me in welcoming our new GSPO members! Everyone ran un-opposed so there was no need for an election.

President: Stephanie Goodwin - I am submitting my statement of interest for the position of GSPO president. I have demonstrated in past positions (student rep) my ability or organize events such as interview weekend, and I believe that these skills would transfer well into this position. Additionally, during my time as student rep I demonstrated my communication skills and believe that these would come in handy communicating with all other members of the GSPO team. Prior to attending SHSU, I owned and operated a dance studio with 52 students and families, and only 1 other instructor, all while working a full-time job external to this. During this time I solidified time management, planning, and communication skills that would make me an ideal candidate for this position.

Master's Vice President: Alexus Uhl - I believe I would be a good fit for the position of master's Vice President for many reasons. I have held numerous leadership positions throughout my life, starting back in high school where I was co-captain of my dance team to my undergraduate career where I acted as social media chair for my university's very first Model United Nations program to my current position in the weTHRIVE lab as website manager and a mentor to undergraduate students. Secondly, I believe I can hold this position well due to my organization and time management skills. I pride myself on being on top of my work and school schedule and balancing these on top of additional research work I do in my research lab.

Vice President: Debbie Torres - Hello, my name is Debbie Torres and I will be a third year student in the Clinical Psychology doctoral program. I am interested in running for Vice President. I believe that my experience as an officer in GSPO has given me the necessary skill set and knowledge to assist the incoming president with their duties. Additionally, I have witnessed and discussed the duties for this position with past officers and believe my qualifications and support best fit the position of Vice President. ​

Treasurer: Rebekah Brown - I would like to submit my application for the GSPO treasurer position. With the circumstances of the past year, I would love a chance to be more involved with the program and help handle the program finances! I have great organizational skills and am proficient in Microsoft Excel (which I use to manage my own personal budget). At my undergraduate university I took a course specifically focusing on Microsoft Excel and Finance. I also have experience collecting large sums of funds for a few organizations in the past (student council and National Honors Society). I consider myself to be very conscientious and detail-oriented, especially when it comes to keeping track of and recording important information. I believe I would make an excellent treasurer for the GSPO and I look forward to making more connections with my program peers through this position!

Secretary: Cayla Hari - I believe I would be a good fit for this position because due to my past experiences in engaging in the tasks that are the duties of the secretary. For example, I have an extensive history of taking minutes for meetings. In the past, I have served as the minutes recorder in lab meetings for Dr. Salami and as the secretary of the Diversity Committee. Moreover, my past experience in undergraduate studies as the philanthropy​ chair for a 400-member Greek organization prepared me well for organizing and tracking service hours. Lastly, I have assisted organizations such as the Oxford, MS branch of Feed the Hunger in managing their social media. Therefore, I believe that I have the necessary qualifications to serve as secretary of GSPO and would be honored to do so if chosen.​

Alexus Uhl, B.S.
Clinical Psychology Master's Program | Sam Houston State University
Graduate Research Assistant | weTHRIVE lab
she/her/hers