Can of Worms: Questions about degrees and credentials

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 03:53:21 -0500

 feel that different type of jobs are more suited to different
degrees/levels of experience, just as in other fields.  And I think here this
would be very parallel to the field of psychology.

In my opinion:

BA level music therapists would be most suited for music activity type
positions, most parallel to recreation therapy.  Music therapy for
stimulation, recreation, and group cohesion among larger groups, classes or
units would be appropriate for BA level therapist.  The therapy should be
mostly supportive and not involve in-depth exploratory techniques or research.

MA level music therapists could move on to more of a
counseling/psychotherapeutic approach, exploring more emotional issues and
less activity-based.  A greater maturity and level of experience and training
is required for this type of therapy.  Even so, with the master's degree deep
psychotherapeutic exploratory techniques should be limited and supervision is
of most importance.  Some basic research could be conducted at this level,
depending on other related experience and training.

A DA level music therapist will be able to go to deeper levels, perhaps with
a psychoanalytically based approach if that has been their orientation.  This
depends on the DA programs and I am most familiar with the program at NYU,
which is to my knowledge based on qualitative research.  I don't know of a
music therapy program (correct me if I'm wrong) that offers a DA focusing on
deeper psychotherapeutic techniques.  I think additional education such as
training in GIM or Nordoff-Robbins music therapy or other specific methods of
music psychotherapy could be another route to go rather than getting a DA
that would allow a music therapist to work on deeper psychological levels.
Research can take on greater importance and focus at the DA level if that's
the route the therapist desires to go.

I don't have an answer to the question about board certification.  I don't
have information on how many master's programs are available, how accessible
they are to all music therapists, etc.  Intuitively I would think this is not
a good idea, because there is no field that requires practitioners to go on
to further degree programs, which may put financial burdens and other burdens
on the therapist, after they have already been certified to work in the
field.  I am not board-certified and don't entirely understand the process of
board certification and the meaning of it.  I think perhaps a solution to
this would to allow different types of certification for different degree
levels, each of which would require a different amount of continuing
education in specific areas.

Just some food for thought, I hope.

Lori Baur, M.A., C.M.T.
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 08/26/1999 at 3:51:02 AM