CBMT and Musicianship

MT-PRO Music Therapy List mtpro@multipro.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:00:32 -0500

<<For anyone else out there reading the postings regarding this subject, I
hope
to hear some solutions- even if they may be far fetched or extremely
difficult to apply. I plan to present them to folks in decision making
positions to urge them on to seriously explore the issue. Please think of it
as brainstorming- lets see if we can find something usable.>>

Jim (et al),
   I agree that this is a tremendously important issue, and I also feel that
there is a lot of work already 'in process'.  A broader-based implementation
of the association's "Professional Competencies" will, I believe, begin to
help faculty as well as clinical training directors look much more concretely
and specifically at "hands-on" skills, and there are natural and sensible
moments in time in the education and clinical training of MT's where these
musicianship skills can and should be addressed (by 'addressed', I mean
everything from taught to tested to applied in the clinic environment).
   From a pure clinical training perspective (having trained interns since
1983), the on-site audition of sight-reading and sight-singing that I require
of prospective interns is probably one of the single largest factors that
helps me determine the likelihood of someone being accepted for internship or
not.  With the "Competencies", hopefully we will see an increase in
functional exit auditions from school as well as entry auditions for
internship.
   - Donna W. Polen, MT-BC
-- MT-PRO Music Therapy List, mtpro@multipro.com on 10/25/1999 at 11:00:11 PM